Thursday, February 2, 2012

Portugal

Last Sunday, I returned from Portugal where I stayed little over a week. I visited a medical-missionary project led by Kim Busl from the US and Dr. Viriato Ferreira, the responsible for health ministries at our Division. It was a very interesting experience. They have started this place about four years ago, and since last fall they have their first group of students. This OCI project is beautifully situated in the mountains a few hours north of Lisbon. There were already some stately, but rather run-down buildings when they purchased it, but lots of changes have been made and many things are still to be accomplished. They have had a few health guests already, although the lifestyle center is not finished yet. I got to teach the students a little bit about some simple home remedies. It was nice working with them, as they hadn't learned about those things yet, and so they were very receptive. I liked the mixture between practical and theoretical training. They also do health work in the community, which is very well received.

Other than teaching, I also helped with gardening. The weather was very pleasant - sunny almost all the time and around 15°C (60°F). What a contrast when I came back to cold Brussels! By now, it has even gotten colder, but at least the sun is shining.

There are some challenges ahead now, and I don't know yet how to go about some things. I'm stressed about our planned health expo in April. There are still so many organisational details to be considered and I pray for the Lord's guidance. There have been some uncertainties lately, and it was unsure whether it can take place at all this spring, but now the Lord seems to open the way. However, I still feel the main burden is on me. In addition, I also have to start thinking about the organisation of our next German camp meeting in August. With all this, the situation at work is not easy right now and I can't know how things are going to develop. So I will definitely not be bored in the coming months! I just don't feel comfortable with not having all the answers, but I know the Lord has a plan. We have been given counsel not to utter words of discouragement, so I just want to say how glad I am that we have God's Word and His promises. I like soaking them up in such times. Also the Spirit of Prophecy is an encouragement to me. Below is one of the quotes that I have been reading quite often these days. Indeed, God knows us better than we know ourselves, and He understands how to lead us.

"Our God is an ever-present help in every time of need. He is perfectly acquainted with the most secret thoughts of our heart, with all the intents and purposes of our souls. When we are in perplexity, even before we open to Him our distress, He is making arrangements for our deliverance. Our sorrow is not unnoticed. He always knows much better than we do, just what is necessary for the good of His children, and He leads us as we would choose to be led if we could discern our own hearts and see our necessities and perils, as God sees them. But finite beings seldom know themselves, They do not understand their own weakness. ... God knows them  better than they know themselves, and He understands how to lead them. (Our High Calling, p. 316)

Two of the main buildings - the one behind is run-down and
will be demolished and rebuilt
Cafeteria and housing
Repairing the stairs
Gardening
Beautiful sunsets 
Coimbra - university town about an hour away from the project

1 comment:

Dobromila said...

Hello, Daniela!
I found your blog by accident and I'm happy I did!

How are you doing? :) I send warm greetings from wet-and-not-cold-at-all Poland! Hope everything is fine in Brussels!

God bless you!