Sunday, July 22, 2012

"Brusselicious"

It has been interesting walking through the park at the King's Palace lately. There has been an exhibition of 35 monumental 5-metres tall sculptures representing a number of unmistakeably Belgian products (the only healthy one being Brussels sprouts). Quite bizarre, I would say, but interesting to look at.

Different variations of...
French fries
A mussel
Chocolate
My favorite

And beer of course

Yesterday was also National Day in Belgium, with most of the spectacle revolving around the King's Palace. I have been to the military parade two years ago (see my blog), but I'm not really keen on going again, especially as it fell on a Sabbath this year. So I was trying to circumvent the whole spectacle after our afternoon programme at church, but I was not aware that all the activities (different booths by the fire brigade, military, etc.) would get so close. Our church is about half a mile from the Palace, however there were crowds of people everywhere - but finally I made it to the metro station. In the evening, I watched the live stream of GYC in Linz. It's great that they managed to organize this in Europe this year. David Ascherick was speaking, and I felt so sorry for the interpreters. I really don't know how it would be possible to slow down this man! 

In the meantime, our camp meeting is getting closer. I'm still a bit apprehensive of all the organisational aspects, since we have never been at this new place, but I pray that everything will work out.  this year, we will have Joel Meyer and his family with us. I got to know the Meyers while I was at Uchee Pines. Joel was the farm manager then and Joella, the eldest daughter, was my classmate. In the meantime, they are working among the Navajo nation in Monument Valley (Utah), where my Dad and I had the opportunity to visit them in the spring of 2009, just before my return to Europe. They are a lovely family, and I'm glad that they are going to be with us to share about agriculture, country living and their experiences from the mission field. In fact, they have already been in Europe for over a week. They already gave a seminar in France, and we organized two more speaking engagements for them in Germany before they come to our meetings. So far, they have been enjoying it. Another speaker will be my friend Ann-Marie Scott who currently works as a medical missionary in Arkansas. She was also at Uchee while I was there and we got to work together in Hungary already twice since I came back from the US. She will actually fly into Brussels already a week from Tuesday, stay here with me for a few days, and then we will drive together to the camp meeting. Her mother will also join a week from Thursday. I'm excited!

No comments: