Friday, April 23, 2010


This past Thursday, I finally made it back to Brussels. I was already scheduled to return from my mission trip on Sunday, but the whims of nature made it impossible for me to fly home as planned. I would have never thought that a volcano erruption could have such wide-ranging impact, yet I'm thankful for the Lord's timing. Indeed, if it had happened a week before, I wouldn't even have made it to Hungary; and on the day of my planned departure, my friend Ann-Marie got sick, so I was able to fill in for her.

Our lifestyle training session was a great blessing. It was pleasant to work with Dr. Horsley again and to listen to his lectures. We had about 8 patients and over 20 observers, many of them from medical professions. It was a Uchee Pines style lifestyle session with the aim to show church members in Hungary how to do medical missionary work. One of the ladies I worked with was a woman my age with almost every possible health problem. My heart went out to her. But I was pleased that every person who was seeking help improved during this time. Yes, natural remedies work!

The session took place at a nursing home in a small place called Elek, situated in South Eastern Hungary, right at the Romanian border. The facilities where not as sophisticated like in an established lifestyle center, but we were able to work with what we had. It was nice interacting with the Hungarians, although the language barrier was a challenge again. But being German was an advantage, since quite a few Hungarians can somehow communicate in this language rather then in English. My interpreter was an 88-year old resident who spoke German very well. She was a remarkable lady.

Anyway, I'm glad that I was able to be part of this endeavor and to help teaching there. May the Lord strengthen this "right arm of the gospel" over in Hungary - and also in the rest of Europe!

It wasn't easy for me to get back to work after almost two weeks of absence. I'm assisting for a case investigation in the mining industry, and lots of messages had been piling up in my Outlook. In addition to this, I'm in charge of our functional mailbox in the unit, where all internal and external requests come in on a daily basis. However my dear fellow assistants usually don't do a very good job keeping up with this while I'm absent. It took me the whole morning to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and now I'm really looking forward to some rest. And, believe it or not, it will be a sunny and warm weekend. Yes, I still live in Brussels and we are in April!

Our Team from left to right: Terry, myself, Ann-Marie, Lehel, Dr. Wynn Horsley

With my interpreter Sára

Medical Conference Uchee Pines style

I gave a testimony on some of my experiences in Brussels

Lot's of beautiful flowers everywhere

A stork working on his nest

No comments: