Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Some Fresh Air Please!

We are having winter smog in Brussels these days. I learned that this can always be expected when beautiful weather persists during this time of the year, especially when the wind drops. Because of the lack of movement of air and temperature, the polluted air is not diluted and gets trapped in a cold layer of air just above the ground. So this happened after we had a nice sunny interlude this past weekend. Today, they made an announcement at the metro station thanking those who have chosen to use public transport. It's really looking grey and this doesn't make me feel like going outside during my lunch break at all. I just wish I could be somewhere in the mountains! But it's only level 1 - level 2 or 3 would be worse; and they say level 2 would only occur once every 2 or 3 years. Anyway, I'm hoping for a fast improvement of these conditions.

At work, things are going to be a bit different for me in the next few months. One of my colleagues who assists in the unit secretariat has requested to work only in the mornings until the summer. Thus, I've been asked to replace her in the afternoons, since it would be too difficult for my other colleague to handle it there by herself all the time. I can't say that I'm happy with this arrangement, since I like my office and I don't appreciate having two different work areas. At least my new head of unit doesn't require us to stay long hours, so I just hope the work load will be managable.

Next week, I'll be off for a little adventure. Professor Walter Veith is going to speak in two different places in Germany, and I'm going to attend his meetings near Munich - at least part of them. Our German ministry is going to have a booth there and I will be helping with this. It's going to be an interesting trip I guess.

By the way, it would be nice getting to know those reading my blog I'm not acquainted with. I only know about two followers in Colorado for example, but there are more hits from there. And what about the ones in Germany and South America? Maybe I even know you, but it would be nice if you could drop me a note!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok Miss Dani, this is Frank. Of course, you already knew that I was reading you blog. I hope the others introduce themselves.